In this episode, four-time Olympian Ruben shares how mental toughness keeps you in the game. Any game. YOUR game. Anyone looking to develop more mental toughnesss in sales and leadership will be sure to enjoy it.
(Full audio below)
The agreements you make determine your path
Welcome to the Invincible Success podcast which helps you amplify your sales, leadership, and life!
Why would anybody in his right mind want to jump on a sled and hurl himself down an icy mountain at over 80 miles per hour?
At the age of 21, Ruben Gonzalez took up the sport of luge
and started training for the Olympics. Four years….. and a few broken bones later, Ruben made his Olympic dream come true!
But he didn’t stop there… Ruben kept training, and at the age of 47, he was racing against 20-year-olds at the Vancouver Winter Olympics!
Ruben’s the first only person to ever to compete in four Winter Olympics EACH in a different DECADE! He’s still competing at the age of 56.
- When you are afraid, it is just a smoke screen to stop you. Don’t let it.
- Understanding that smoke screen is necessary to succeed in Sales and Leadership
- Ruben started to dream that his life could be like a book
- He saw the Olympics when he was 10-years old and knew right then he wanted to be a part of that
- Ruben’s dad told him to start reading biographies to learn from others
- Success leaves clues
- 3 Key Steps – Dream, Struggle, Victory
- He saw 1984 Olympics and witnessed Scott Hamilton win for figure skating, that did the trick
- Wrote to Sports Illustrated and asked them where he goes to practice the luge
- He developed a singular focus on accomplishing his dream
- Initially, he felt like an Impostor, barely belonging in the room with other athlete’s
- Was initially dismissed as an “Olympic Tourist” because he had started his Olympic journey so late
- Pushed his brother into training for the Salt Lake City Olympics – First time two brothers competed against each other
- The selfish person is the one that sits at home watching TV, not the person that put themselves out there every day and takes chances to be better
- Read “The Seven Summits” by Dick Bass, which inspired him to climb Mt Kilimanjaro
- Another testament of perseverance
- Learned the body can take so much more than we put it through
- Perseverance is the most important quality for successful people
Daily Success Habits:
- Ruben’s walls are covered in pictures of things he wants to do, providing daily inspiration Successes that I’ve had
- Every single day – Write down 1-2 goals for that day, before anything else
- Talk to others, tell them your goals. Let them help you.
Ruben Gonzalez is a common man who achieved extraordinary things. He
wasn’t a gifted athlete. In school he was always the last kid picked to play
sports. He didn’t take up the sport of luge until he was 21.
Four years and a few broken bones later, Ruben was competing in the
Calgary Winter Olympics. When he competed at the Vancouver Olympics
at the age of 47, Ruben became the first person to ever compete in four
Winter Olympics each in a different decade.
Since 2002 Ruben has spoken for over 100 of the Fortune 500 companies.
He’s considered one of the top motivational and inspirational speakers in
America. His bestselling books have sold over 100,000 copies and have
been translated to over 10 languages.
His incredible story takes people’s excuses away and fills them with the
belief and inspiration to face their challenges and fight for their goals and
dreams. People buy into what Ruben teaches because they can relate to
Ruben will inspire and equip your people to win
Please Subscribe to the show to never miss an episode.
Right-click and ‘Save As’ to download the full episode to your computer.
Mark Steel is an Inspiring Sales and Leadership Keynote Speaker and a Communications Skills coach. With over 20 years of professional speaking experience, Mark is dynamic, engaging, informative, and fun. Sales, leadership, and team-building audiences rave about Mark’s ‘Invincible Success’ keynotes. As a coach, Mark works with executives and professionals to ensure when they speak, the audience is listening. Mark is also a married father of two living outside Chicago, Il and he is an avid rock climber. #ClimbOn